[governance] CORRECTION: List Posting Rules: Unsolicited CCing is

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Thu Aug 20 13:58:37 EDT 2009

Hi Sylvia.

On 20 Aug 2009, at 13:20, Sylvia Caras wrote:

> There are consequences for various list configurations.  Perhaps the
> governance list default should be changed to only reply to the list?

There have been lots of conversations on this in the past on many
lists including this one i think.  and after reading them all, ok not
all, it is hard to know what the best solution is.

- Sometimes someone wants to reply only to the person who wrote the
email but if the list is set to 'reply to list,' they then write
something to the whole list that sometimes embarrasses them greatly

- Sometimes someone wants to send something to the list and if the
list is set to 'reply to sender' only, they have to resend it.  Less
embarrassing, but if the sender doesn't realize what happened,
something that she or he felt was important to say might not get said.

So both of these options have a downside (like most choices i find).

Currently the list is set in a default mode, which leaves it up to the
individual mailer and user to figure out what to do.

In any of the options, it is a good habit to get into (one i
constantly try to move towards myself - having made all of the errors
one can imagine making in addressing email) of always double or triple
checking the headers to make sure that the message is doing where you
want it to go.  But of course we all forget to do that from time to
time.

Having said all of this, if this list comes to a consensus someday on
which way they want the list to function, it is trivial to change it.
For now it is in the default setting.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org