[governance] CORRECTION: List Posting Rules: Unsolicited CCing is SPAM [was Stop CCing me]

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Aug 20 06:48:43 EDT 2009

In message
<ec8caada0908200105n6d9f002fsaa7187b320d4ec6c at mail.gmail.com>, at
10:05:03 on Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Rui Correia <correia.rui at gmail.com> writes
>3. Any one is free to further disseminate list debates/ discussions to
>external interested parties by means of CC/ BCC/ FWD whenever one has
>reason to believe that the recipient(s) will welcome receiving such
>posting(s).

As a matter of good practice [for all lists], if you CC a list-message
to a colleague who isn't a list-member, then you are tempting them to
also reply to the list (which will bounce).

It is much better to FWD such messages individually, so the recipient
doesn't fall into that trap.

Putting list-members (who are generally easy to identify) on the CC list
is simply untidy, unnecessary and bad netiquette. Although I wouldn't
use the word Spam, as that has other connotations.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org