[governance] Monroe Doctrin for Cyberspace?

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Wed Aug 19 20:55:11 EDT 2009

Eric says "*America has never and most likely will never have any decrees.
We do not run our rig that way*."
As one who also thinks and define my own existence from that action, I am
truly surprised here.  This could be the minority jaundiced view but I have
never believed that ICANN would/could exist without substantive USG
oversight.  Given what I know of the US political order and with eyes wide
open and mind engaged, it is unlikely.  When the smoke clears, invoking the
national security of the United States on any issue trumps all other
considerations.

Here we stand.  If JPA - or by whatever name its replacement is finally
implemented - is to go, I am opposed to a replacement of one suzerain power
with another to the exclusion of the rest of us in the world.

All this aside, the deed is done and the die is cast. I must and am willing
to be proved wrong on this.

Speaking of revisionism, historical and otherwise, I wonder in what context
would we interpret [US presidential] executive orders?  And what do you make
of the instances where their execution have - by means fair and foul -
imposed the American will elsewhere in the world?

Carlton Samuels