[governance] Civil & Political Entitlements, and a Declaration

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Aug 17 11:45:53 EDT 2009

I agree with this part of your statement. I do not think that a religious grounding for rights is required, however. We should not get into that here, it's outside the scope of this list.

> Obviously, the only time anyone really needs a right is to do
> something somebody else doesn't want them to do -- or even that a
> majority doesn't want them to do, like speak to an unpopular issue.

> [snip]
> If you follow what I'm saying above, and wish to resist tyranny of the
> majority as well as governmental tyranny and the tyranny of any other
> large concentration of power, then there must be a conception of
> rights that is beyond the ability of the majority, the government or
> any other power to legitimately alter or control.   Thus, such rights,
> while they can be violated, even violated for a very long time and
> egregiously so, NEVER go away or get waived.  They just get violated.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org