[governance] Aug. 15 deadline for inputs on IGF 2009 agenda

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Fri Aug 14 14:20:53 EDT 2009

Dear Anja:
I will offer an opinion that might not be popular but the logic of which I'm
yet to see successfully contradicted. It concerns the use of the word
"rights" in the context of a service, which is the practical meaning of the
word "internet" to ordinary people.

I think we can find common cause with respect to [a set of] Internet
principles.  But when the term "rights" is juxtaposed and invoked, it takes
on an aura of justiciability. By extension, a claim for infringement of or
disenfranchisement from that right would attract a motion for adjudication;
some agent/agency must enforce these rights.  The difficulty of course is
the need to define the parties and their connected responsibilitites, in
context.  Typically, the tort law comes into play here.

But this is not the sense you get when we talk of Internet rights.  A useful
corollary is the "right" to education that is so much a part of the
development agenda.  And, unfortunately, therein lies the rub.

Carlton Samuels