[governance] Trying to "fix" the list Explanation and apology

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Aug 12 18:19:59 EDT 2009

Good to see the range of views being put forward, and some open discussion
on this, so Ginger it wasn¹t so bad a mistake to make after all!

This list periodically has disruptive influences (who was the person who
during WSIS preparations kept posting long diatribes on the inner workings
of UNIX?) Others I could name meant well but were just highly unusual to the
point where they input could be considered disruptive.

We seem to have quite different opinions here on the option of a closed list
­ some strongly for, some strongly against. I have a personal preference for
an open list, but I do have a higher tolerance for noise on lists than some.
Perhaps if English wasn¹t my first language I would feel different however.

But if there is a strong feeling either way I here I am happy to go with the
general direction!

Ian