[governance] Trying to "fix" the list

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 12 12:42:05 EDT 2009

Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It would be a fundamental change to the openness of the list.
> Especially given the number of well respected people who are
> participants on the list and not 'members'.
Avri

As per what I suggest no fundamental change takes place. The well
respected people you speak of can continue to be participants, and they
have as much right in all discussions as anyone else. It is their choice
if they want to also be members to take part in IGC decisions, those of
which just must be taken.

> I would not be in favor because it is a movement away from
> transparency (not matter what i feel about being personally baited
> from time to time) and because it would end a very important kind of
> outreach this list has - one can sign up, be here, participate and
> then decide to join when it came time to vote on something (or sooner
> if wished).
Nothing is done to outreach either. The list remains as open for anyone
to subscribe. Membership also remains open if one wants to be a member
and subscribes to the charter, which is the condition for membership.

An excessive and unthinking accent on formal openness/ participation can
come at the expense of real or substantive openness/ participation, and
the IGC is a good instance of it. An IGC made ineffective because we
dont take the minimum necessary decisions/ measures drives people away,
and also otherwise greatly reduces effectiveness of IGC as a conduit of
participation of voices that are otherwise poorly represented in global
IG forums.

> If anything i would recommend, and support, the creation of smaller
> side lists that were topical and project oriented (i.e. to write a
> statement on x), closed for posting to IGC members and invited others,
> but with open archives.
Should be in any case useful. But there are not enough active IGC
members willing to get into such huddles. Finally, everything depends on
the quality of discussions on the IGC general list, and the substantive
impact and, consequent, recognition/ status IGC can earn. I think we can
all agree that the current set of events that this thread has developed

Therefore small topical lists does nothing to address the issue we are
facing, though I am greatly for them.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org