[governance] Miltons' Matrix is Wrong

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 12:48:12 EDT 2009

Dear Eric (and greetings group):

We have not corresponded before but I hope you will welcome same.
I invite you to consider joining the *Respectful Interfaces* Programme of
the Communications Coordination Committee for the U.N. if you have interest
because your posts seem a good match. Sorry not to go into detail here, very
interesting reading.

Best wishes, LDMF.,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Eric Dierker
<cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> I thank Milton for his contributions and respect is intellect.  I read his
> posts and marketed "blogging". I found his logic quite persuasive. But then
> I saw the problem. The problem with the whole JPA mix. The problem is the
> exact opposite of the engineering conundrum of not settling on common
> language. The problem is the (way overused) inability to think outside the
> goldfish bowl. The problem is -- "being invested" in the status quo.
>
> The ICANN model is not. It is by know means what Miltons' students would
> come up with if assigned the task of building a model for Internet
> Governance.  It is like a bad patchwork of self interest and preservation.
> To even use the same language to discuss ICANN and the way it should be is
> counterproductive and misleading.
>
> We should be using words that sound like our respective countries'
> declaration of independence and bills of rights. We should be using terms
> that describe interconnectivity and progress and representation.  We should
> be using concepts like dispute resolution and bodies of standards and norms
> and goals and aspirations not restrictions on use and innovation.
>
> Governance must be for the governed not for those who would govern. Monies
> and energies and jurisdictions and corporate structures should be
> implemented  and spent for the purpose of openness and transparency not
> preservation of the structures.  If we must tear down to build then so be
> it. But we cannot just do a geographic and move existing errors or add on to
> an existing weak foundation. We must break out of Miltons' box and approach
> the future as though we were building a whole new
> nation.____________________________________________________________
>     governance at lists.cpsr.org

LDMF.
914 769 3652

Dr.Linda D. Misek-Falkoff, NGO Representative to United Nations ECOSOC
(CCC/UN and World Education Fellowship).
Founder/Director "Respectful Interfaces* Programme - Communications
Coordination Committee for the U.N.)
Founder with Carol Jay Levy,  Persons With Pain International accredited to
the U.N. (DESA Enable) Bureau on The 'Convention on the Rights of Persons
with Disabilities' (CRPD).
Member, e-lists and in person, U.N. Committees on thematic and practical
subjects inc. age, gender, health, disability, values, education, and ICT.
Other Affiliations on Request.