[governance] Unsubscribing ACLU (Dateline 1953)

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 8 22:54:32 EDT 2009

Excellent Carlos,
(your pedigree preceeds you of course)
--- On Sat, 8/8/09, Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br> wrote:

The central problem here resides in the scope of the list. If we want an
open discussion like an open air lunch forum in which anyone can come
(including people who are after things other than the general objectives
of the forum), fine, let us continue with it -- this is what this list
is today.
Please set forth the general objectives of the list and where they are located. the stuff I read sounds like a marketing and fundraising advertising press release  http://cpsr.org/issues/gis/tunisrpt/
But here we try to build consensus on key themes based on views we bring
from non-profit organizations concerned or involved with the themes of
Internet governance,(I have not seen a vote here. I know of no person elected here and I do not understand your use of the word theme.  sometimes we vote, we try to build a unified
position to be submitted to fora such as ICANN and the IGF. So it is up
to us to decide which way to go. (I have never seen a position tendered to ICANN from this list -- I must read them, where are they?)

I am sure more people will be asking to leave, or simply unsubscribe, if
the list continues as is. (more important -- how many have been excluded? Not just by membership criteria but by shunning) What kind of online caucus we want? This is
what we need to answer. I think all of us want a plural caucus in which
opinions are diverse and the resulting debate might lead us to build
consensus, but first and foremost, I for one want a caucus in which I
know whom I am debating with. (yes I have known those who judge the worth of what a woman says by her pedigree rather than the value of what she has to offer.  Yes I have often been lied to about the agenda of those with which I debated  --  It is good to look a fellow in the eye and judge his conviction -- but it is wrong not to allow a man a place at the table based upon his lack of an NGO triple digit salary)

Finally, I am puzzled (and curious) as to what class or faith Mr Dierker
(whom I do not know about either) is stamping me with. Nor his
qualifications to teach Dr Müller (I for one did not request lessons).
(if you still think I care about your class or faith you cannot read. I am however quite interested in anyone who has lived in Canada & Brazil and has lived half a lifetime running "from" rather than "to")
frt rgds

As for me, know this;  I am a highwayman. I am a bastard and illegitimate son. I have lived in a tent, in a cave, on five continents, alone, in a commune and in jail.  I have suffered false charges and have also evaded prosecution. I have prosecuted others and have suffered the slings and arrows of a fight. I have held sick and dying children and I have children of my own. I am a cancer survivor. My origins are said to be Irish and Italian, but I was raised by German Americans, in the heart of Navajoland and my family includes my Vietnamese wife.  But I do professionally analyze and strategize computer models for those interested in manipulating criteria bases to qualify for a gain.
Would any of that be on your membership criteria??

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org