[governance] RE: Licensing Dispute Threatens Future of Skype

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Aug 1 11:30:14 EDT 2009

[excessive cc: list trimmed]

In message <18447FEC22F74575A0CDB5D44C437D9A at userPC>, at 08:06:46 on
Sat, 1 Aug 2009, Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> writes
>According to one of the articles discussing this, Skype currently has 480
>MILLION subscribers i.e. roughly 8% of all the people on earth and probably
>50% of all those currently connected to or otherwise using the Internet!

In the last couple of years I've seen the "number of users online"
figure they publish on their user interface creep past 12 million, but
that includes those who automatically load the application and then
don't use it very often.

I've seen some other figures which say eBay has 370 million accounts,
but only 65 million are "active" (which they define as having made at
least one transaction in the previous 12 months).

How many "active" Skype accounts are there, and how would you define it?
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org