[governance] RE: Licensing Dispute Threatens Future of Skype

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 11:06:46 EDT 2009

Hugely popular would appear to be something of an understatement...

According to one of the articles discussing this, Skype currently has 480
MILLION subscribers i.e. roughly 8% of all the people on earth and probably
50% of all those currently connected to or otherwise using the Internet!

My guess as well is that the role of Skype as a "necessary" (public) service
is rather greater in LDC's than in Developed Countries; among NGO's,
non-profits and at the grassroots rather than for corporate communicators;
and as part of the glue that makes globalization "for everyone else" (viz.
the non-Walmarts of the world) work i.e. for national and international
migrants, small export/import operators, non-tour based international
travellers, conference goers, international volunteers and technical
assistance workers etc.etc.

Hmmm.. Maybe it is too big to fail... My guess is that if the
socio-demography of users relying on it as a primary communications vehicle
were skewed towards the other end of the income/influence pyramid
legislators would be very actively looking at ways of maintaining it as a
necessary public service...

MBG