[governance] hearing on Internet Governance arrangements in Brussels on May 6

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Tue Apr 28 04:57:54 EDT 2009

Hi,

the European Commission hosts a hearing on Internet Governance in
Brussels on May 6. It is a by invitation only event. I got an invitation
but cannot attend. Yesterday I was told that we, the IGC, can send
somebody else. Would anybody be able and willing to go?

We are also invited to contribute a written statement on any of the
issues on the agenda. Since there is probably not enough time to write
and agree on a new statement, perhaps it would make sense to contribute
slightly amended version of one of our statements for the IGF public
consultations?

The website for the meeting:
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/internet_gov/index_en.htm

I post the agenda here because it seems to be missing on the website:

Hearing on Internet Governance arrangements
6 May 2009, 10:00 – 17:15
  Brussels – Charlemagne Building , Room DURI

09:30 Registration & coffee
10:00 Introduction by the Commission
10.30 WSIS
11.15 Security & stability
12.00 The role of governments
12.45 Round up morning discussion
13.00 Lunch
14.15 Accountability and legitimacy
15.00 Internationalisation of Internet Governance
15:45 Coffee break
16:00 Digital divide
16.45 Round up afternoon discussion
17:00 Concluding remarks

***
Theme description
1.	WSIS: Progress since WSIS- how far are we with the implementation of
WSIS principles? What are the new challenges, if any, since WSIS that
should be addressed?
2.	Security & stability of the Internet remains a key EU priority. What
are the main threats/challenges? What should the EU be doing about them
in particular with a view to their international dimension?
3.	The role of public authorities: How should public authorities, in
particular governments, respond to their responsibilities in view of the
importance of the Internet to our economies and societies? What lessons,
if any, should be learnt from the "financial crisis" (e.g. should
self-regulation for critical infrastructures and services be more
closely monitored by governments and relevant public authorities)? To
what extent are private sector leadership and stronger governmental and
public policy making complementary and necessary components for the
effective management of the Internet?
4.	Accountability and legitimacy: To what extent are self-regulatory
governance bodies accountable to Internet users world-wide? What
problems, if any, are posed by the fact that many Internet users do not
participate, even indirectly, in the governance processes? Is it
necessary to make governance fora more accountable to the wider
international community and, if so, how?
5.	Internationalisation of Internet Governance: Is it desirable or
necessary to ensure fair participation of actors in their respective
roles from all geographic regions in the future shaping of the Internet
and if so, how? How can situations be avoided where the imposition of a
particular legal system or jurisdiction might disadvantage players from
outside the jurisdiction concerned?
6.	Digital divide: The future billions of users will come largely from
developing countries. Should the existing Internet governance mechanisms
be adapted to reflect this evolution and, if so, how? Should the
interests of those who don’t yet have Internet access be represented in
the policy making processes and, if so, how?

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org