[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Apr 27 07:42:49 EDT 2009

Hi Bill

>> William Drake wrote:
>>> Hi Parminder
>>>
>> Hi Bill
>>
>> All the three models mentioned above  that were put forward by WGIG
>> report  centrally include  non -ICANN and non -CIR policy issues.
>> They all refer to wider Internet related public policies. So why do
>> you conclude from my example of possible consideration of such models
>> among others that I am proposing a workshop about ICANN 'oversight'
>> alone. Though, yes, this is one important issue, as is in all the
>> three models mentioned here.
>
> Yes, in principle they weren't necessarily restricted in scope, which
> reflected in no small measure the efforts of the IGC and others to
> push the notion of IG beyond ICANN and CIR.
If IGC was indeed pushing for non CIR issues to be in global political
IG models, than there is no reasons for anyone to think that I would be
thinking otherwise in suggesting that inter alia these models may also
be revisited.

> But in practice, the governmentals who proposed these models really
> were fundamentally thinking about ICANN.
Doesnt matter. I am not in those governments who were doing this. We
cannot allow those governments to determine the whole agenda and merely
be reactive to them.

> Model 1's "Global Internet Council" was "to replace the ICANN
> Governmental Advisory Committee;" model 3's "International Internet
> Council" was to "fulfill the corresponding functions, especially in
> relation to ICANN/IANA competencies," to address "international public
> policy issues that do not fall within the scope of other existing
> intergovernmental organizations" (meaning CIR), and "could make the
> Governmental Advisory Committee redundant;" and model 4's World
> Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers was to exercise an
> "oversight function over the body responsible, at the global level,
> for the technical and operational functioning of Internet (ICANN)" and
> replace GAC.  It was pretty clear to everyone what we were talking about.
But you said above that IGC, and presumable others, were also talking
about non CIR issues. We all know what were the hot and the contested
issue, but that does not take away other important governance requirements.

> So when you suggest we need to look at these, and have a workshop
> proposal that says "present governance structures grew out of certain
> historical contexts" and need "democratic internationalization," it
> seemed reasonable to conclude you were talking about ICANN.  If you
> meant more than that I stand corrected, but  I the ws description and
> discussion here seemed to suggest otherwise.
The workshop proposal clearly say that Internet is no longer just a
technical artifact but much more, which suggests that we are also
speaking about things beyond technical governance, and therefore beyond
CIR.

> So which other governance structures was the language alluding to?
The real problem here I think is that we seem to see 'political
oversight' of ICANN-plus in a vacuum. In fact such oversight in not only
connected with but actually arises out of other political IG issues -
IPR/ public domain, cultural diversity, FoE, security, development needs
etc . So 'oversight' and other global Internet policy issues, to a good
extent, need to be seen in one bunch.   The only *legitimate* reason
that someone with 'political oversight' over CIR management has for
exercising such oversight arises from one or the other such political
considerations. In that sense any institutional structure for
'oversight' of ICANN-plus will necessarily be discussing such other
public policy issues that IGC pushed for in WGIG and which are even more
important to decide/ resolve in a globally democratic manner today.

> It'd be helpful to know, since the IGC will need to agree what the
> session's about if it's approved.
Since IGC pushed for these other (non CIR) public policy issues to be
included in definition of IG space, I think there must be a fair idea
about such issues. We also had a workshop last year on transnational
Internet. I do not think the idea of need for global governance in IG
arena regarding non CIR issues is that elusive. But yes a discussion on
this in the IGC is certainly going to be very useful.

Undemocratically negotiated cyber-security treaty, and now the
anti-counterfeiting trade treaty, are all pointers to what we are
talking about here. The manner in which such things are being done now
are certainly much worse than a situation where WGIG 1, 3 or 4 models
are in some way involved.  I don't think that CS's best strategy is to
keep saying ITU is bad, ICANN is not ok in exercising political
sovereignty, ACTA is not a right way to do things, without any
suggestions or even discussions of possible alternatives.  I presume you
have problems with all these institutional forms of dealing with global
Internet related policies. If so, what in your opinion is the best way
to go ahead? Will be glad to hear them. Non-governance is not an option.
These are the issues that the workshop will deal with apart from
problems with US's unilateral oversight of the ICANN.

Parminder