[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Thu Apr 23 13:56:57 EDT 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 6:27 PM, Garth Graham wrote:
>> I know this doesn't help at this late date, but I see
>> international / transnational / global as beside the point - which
>> is the Internet's inherent capacity to support distributed self-
>> organizing relationships.

>> On 21-Apr-09, at 7:00 AM, William Drake wrote
>> Well, that's a point, but the point was the one we were discussing.

Apparently not! ....  because then, on 22-Apr-09, at 10:45 PM,
Parminder wrote:

> Garth Graham wrote:
>> To put that another way, does anybody believe that "world"
>> government can be "accountable political governance?"
>>
> ...... But to the put the question back to you, do you think a self-
> organizing governance at the global level can be accountable and
> fair governance. I am very sure that it cannot be. Quite the
> opposite; self-organizing is used as a ruse to discredit political
> governance, so that the march of the dominant forces toward even
> more absolute domination remains institutionally and morally
> unbridled.

I believe that many local forms of governance can be made accountable
through responsible citizen action, but that any and all  "global"
forms of governance cannot.  But your view of the role and
significance of self-organization seems to be wildly divergent from
my own.

I see relational self-organization as inherent in such things as the
roots of Internet Protocol,  the IETF credo of "rough consensus and
running code," and Benkler's “commons-based peer production."  I'd
see finding a common understanding of the relevance of self-
organizing systems to be central to what ISOC is calling, "The
Internet Model of Internet Governance."  Thus my later suggestion
that the title could be, "Interdependencies and Internet
Governance."  I hear your identification of it as a focus of
resistance as at odds with that.  If an IG Caucus is struggling to
both increase and decrease these elements of effective Internet
Governance then, yes, gaining "clarity" of intention really does need
to proceed with great care!

It's my experience that the tolerance of the "Internet Technical
Community" (an unfortunately limiting phrase) for "philosophy" is
actually quite low.  So I'm reluctant to address definition.
However, if anybody wants to go there, the best short introduction
I've found (12 minutes 25 seconds) to a relational world view and its
implications for the future of democracy is:

Lee Smolin. How science is like democracy. Technology, Entertainment,
Design (TED), Filmed Feb 2003; Posted Nov 2008. http://www.ted.com/
index.php/talks/lee_smolin_on_science_and_democracy.html

Smolin says, "There is no place to put an explanation of something
that comes from outside a system. Somehow the system makes itself."

And several times, I have posted my own musings on how  relational
self-organization of distributed systems applies to Internet
Governance to this list. Perhaps the most complete summary of those
can be found in the list archives at:
http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2008-03/msg00073.html