[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Apr 22 06:21:43 EDT 2009

William Drake wrote:
> Hi Parminder
>
>> and therefore not acceptable, about which there is a strong sentiment
>> that is propelling the internationalisation debate, we will need to
>> come up with institutional alternatives. Our desire to look for them
>> depends on the strength of our belief and conviction in the above
>> regard. But if I do have to suggest  some models, models 1, 3 and 4
>> suggested by WGIG are not a bad place to start from.
>
> The IGC rejected all of these during WSIS...but I guess this indicates
> what the intended scope is.  You're proposing the ws be about ICANN
> 'oversight' then?

Hi Bill

All the three models mentioned above  that were put forward by WGIG
report  centrally include  non -ICANN and non -CIR policy issues. They
all refer to wider Internet related public policies. So why do you
conclude from my example of possible consideration of such models among
others that I am proposing a workshop about ICANN 'oversight' alone.
Though, yes, this is one important issue, as is in all the three models
mentioned here.

 >And re: the above, I don't think CS calls for change/evolution
necessarily are grounded in the assertion that the (unnamed) present
arrangements  are not >democratic enough. There are a lot of other bases
upon which to critique and call for reforms.

Which ones are these 'other bases'? The only real problem for me with a
political governance structure can be that either it is not democratic
or not effective. Without a clear democratic underpinning, concepts like
transparency, accountability  are meaningless,  mostly  even deluding.
And when democratic underpinning of a system itself is in question that
'basis' of reform comes first, before all these other dependent 'bases'.

parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org