[governance] Initiating discussion on "Internet Authoritarianism"

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 19:04:17 EDT 2009

I have used this phrase "Internet Authoritarianism" repeatedly without
an intention to coin some new phrase or terminology since I have read
about  networked authoritarianism in the past.

The intention has evolved from observing in various cases emerging all
over the world that how dictatorship seems to be finding its way into
the Internet even from highly proclaimed democratic countries.

The term "Internet Authoritarianism" may define inroads to the IGF to
umbrella, take stock of, report and monitor such issues under a single
theme. This intersection where both democratic and non-democratic
regions find their need to assert a level of dictatorship on society
through digital means may actually help us develop an insight into why
these regions have stepped in to taking such undue control over the
Internet trying to clamp down society using their Authoritariansim
within the domain of the Internet.

There must be a common pattern of things. There can be investigation
and evidence collection on the subject. We may be in a position to
define a path for the evolution of society to carry out forensics of
"Internet Authoritarianism". I continue to feel the urge to take up
this topic as mainstream subject from within the Civil Society and
give it both form and structure with a knowledge foundation to build
upon.

As some of you dear members belong to universities around the world, I
would love to coordinate with your students as well as researchers to
initiate a research theme on "Internet Authoritarianism", bring it
into to the domains of discussion within the knowledge networks of
Civil Society, Academia and Research and take stock, analyse, collect
evidence, identify authoritarianism patterns within the framework of
the Internet and create policy working knowledge to be shared within
our networks and possible in Internet Governance programs around the
world.

I would like this rough sketched message to mark the progress stage 1
of such research and development in  "Internet Authoritarianism" and I
am open to work and collaborate with everyone interested to take this
subject forward as an open and inclusive collaborative effort.

--

Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org