[governance] Internet Authoritarianism - PayPal.com does not

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:00:20 EDT 2009

Just back from 2 blissful weeks offline...and I just had to respond to
this one...

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Internet Authoritarianism - PayPal does not authorize Pakistan in its
> service list, Why?

Fear of fraud probably, the Nigeria scammers have rendered paypal
unusable for the whole of Africa.

> The People of Pakistan, a populous ICT/Internet Consumer country, are
> denied of its basic right to access PayPal.com services in Pakistan!

Are you promulgating the notion that a paypal account is a human
right...seriously?!

> www.PayPal.com exists today as an important platform for Electronic
> Commerce today globally. Knowledge Workers all over the world work
> online and recieve payments as well as transfer them to get work done
> from other knowledge workers. Unfortunately, PayPal does not include
> Pakistan in its list whereas it includes both China and India.
> Pakistan – purely from your business perspective may not be that big
> of an economy, but it surely has an economy that is larger and more
> active than Bhutan, Chad, Honduras, Somalia, Maldives, Rwanda, Uganda,
> Yemen —combined!
>
> Pakistan may not be that big on PayPal's radar, perhaps Pakistan is
> not even equated to a blip, but a country of 170 Million, to be
> blatantly ignored (there may be agreement or disagreement to the
> choice of words, if the above mentioned countries can have PayPal, we
> would like to know what piece of legislation, law, banking
> infrastructure, etc. prevents eBay/PayPal from including Pakistan
> under its countries-in-which-PayPal-works umbrella).

It's not legislation, it's the choice of the suits at PayPal.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org