[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Apr 20 07:41:48 EDT 2009

IGC-ers

IGC has always taken lead in some key political issues at each IGF, and
it will be rather amiss if we do not do. Moreover, it will not be the
best outcome of all the energy and time we all devote here voluntarily
for some public interest causes we believe it.

I therefore seek views and endorsements for the two workshops that i
think have a history in IGC's political engagements in global IG forums,
especially the IGF. I am trying to push this at this late hour because I
do believe ob both these subjects - Network Neutrality and
Internationalisation of IG - there is a strong support in the IGC, which
for some reasons have not clearly come out.

So if you do want IGC to sponsor a workshop on these subjects pl
indicate so in the next 24 hours, after which I will request the
coordinators to take a call if enough support for these workshop has
been forthcoming.  While the text of the two workshop, at this stage of
discussion, is posted below, we must remember that this is an initial
rough proposal stage, and the final text can be changed to a
considerable extent, within the overall stated subject framework, later,
which we can do over some discussions. On the other hand, if we do not
submit workshop proposals now they cannot be submitted ever for the IGF 4.

I am only picking up these two workshops to especially advocate for them
on my behalf within the IGC. Other workshop proposals that are moving
forward will of course keep doing so, and coordinators may take a final
decision tomorrow, though i ma not quite sure what the overall plan is.

Thanks, parminder

Workshop 1 -

*Internationalization of Internet Governance - The way forward from
where we stand today *
The Internet's present governance structures grew out of certain
historical contexts, as well as some new  socio-political realities
around the Internet. In the context  of rapid changes that the Internet
has wrought, the key and  emerging issues related to its governance
could not have been  anticipated by anyone. One thing however is clear
by now; the  Internet is not just a technical artifact, requiring
technical governance with regard to keeping it running  smoothly, but a
key socio-political phenomenon requiring  participative, inclusive and
accountable  internationalization. It is important to analyze the needs
of  evolution and internationalization of IG from various  standpoints
and the direction in which we might move from here.

        The workshop will seek to discuss some real institutional
possibilities of what to do next, possibly
presenting and analyzing alternative models, along with the  advantages
and disadvantages of each.

        Relates to theme - IG, CIRs

        Who would you approach as co-organizers ? Or who do you think
should organize it?

         IG Caucus would like to organize this workshop..

 It is important to analyze the needs of  evolution and
internationalization of IG from various  standpoints and the direction
in which we might move from here.

        The workshop will seek to discuss some real institutional
possibilities of what to do next, possibly
presenting and analyzing alternative models, along with the  advantages
and disadvantages of each.

        Relates to theme - IG, CIRs

        Who would you approach as co-organizers ? Or who do you think
should organize it?

         IG Caucus would like to organize this workshop
*
Workshop 2*

*Network Neutrality - Exploring a global consensus on principles*

Concise description (up to 200 words)
There is an increasing recognition of the urgency to develop some kind
of NN principles in order to preserve the open and democratic nature of
the Internet, and safeguard the interest of Internet users and others
affected by it. This workshop will explore recent efforts to articulate
and agree on NN principles in Europe, Japan, the U.S. and developing
countries. While proceeding from numerous national regulatory
developments, it will try to assess the transnational implications of
various approaches to NN, especially vis a vis developing countries who
seem largely absent from NN debates.

Relates to theme -
Openness

Who would you approach as co-organizers ? or who do you think should
organize it?

Internet Governance Project (IGP) is happy to play a support role in
organizing this. Others we would approach: Free Press (USA-based civil
society advocacy group); Consumer Council of Norway; ITforChange
(India-based civil society advocacy group), Japan Internet Providers
Association and Ministry of Communications. There are other specific
countries or examples that are involved in such negotiations over
principles that we don't know about yet but will learn about later. We
will seek out additional developing country commentators in particular.