[governance] Statement to OC meeting in May regarding Final draft for mailling?

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 16:10:04 EDT 2009

I propose that we approve this final draft for emailing to the Secretariat
now:

The Internet Governance Caucus notes the statement from the Programme Paper:
"...Some favoured the inclusion of 'Internet rights and principles' as a
cross-cutting theme". This concurs with the widespread support for this
concept from various stakeholder groups at the February open consultations.

However we are concerned at the proposal to exclude it as a theme this year
on the grounds that there is "no established definition of this theme and
that therefore it should not be discussed at the Sharm El Sheikh meeting."

We are surprised by this reasoning for exclusion and request that the MAG
revisit this subject given the wide support which has been expressed. Given
that these matters are specifically contained in the Tunis Agenda (paras 70
and 42) we do not see lack of definition as a reason for exclusion. However,
if it is not possible to include this concept until it is defined within
IGF, we ask that the IGF 2009 include a prominent plenary space to establish
this definition, in preparation for more comprehensive discussions in future
debates and meetings.

Ginger

Ms. Virginia (Ginger) Paque

DiploFoundation

Coordinator IGCBP 09

www.diplomacy.edu/ig

VirginiaP at diplomacy.edu

Ginger

Ms. Virginia (Ginger) Paque

DiploFoundation

Coordinator IGCBP 09

www.diplomacy.edu/ig

VirginiaP at diplomacy.edu

I have not carefully followed the debate leading up to this, but looking at
this statement with fresh eyes, I support it! If Jeanette has any further
concerns about pre-judging MAG positions, one could simply change "we are
concerned at the PROPOSAL..." to "we would not support any proposals..."

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org