[Fwd: [governance] Workshop proposal - Internationalisation of

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Apr 16 05:14:28 EDT 2009

Hi, I very much agree with Bill here. "Democratic" isn't a category I
would use for the Internet governance arrangements. For me, democratic
procedures are rooted in the constitution of the nation state and they
refer to specific practices and principles that are implemented nowhere
but on the national level. In my understanding, we are aiming at
developing international substitutes for democratic institutions.

I also agree with Bill that we have probably very different views on
this issue and that it is unlikely that we find an agreement within a
few days. Like Bill, I would suggest we stick to terms such as
"participatory/inclusive/accountable internationalization".
Best, jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org