[governance] Statement to OC meeting in May regarding "Internet Rights and Principles"

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:26:26 EDT 2009

I would like to propose that the IGC make a short, direct statement to the
OC in May, gently, or non-aggressively requesting that Internet Rights and
Principles be given a priority placement in the IGF 2009 for establishing a
definition of the phrase, in response to the statement in the Programme
Paper (http://igf.wgig.org/cms/2009/progpaper/ProgrammePaper.23.03.2009.rtf)
that:

"While some favoured the inclusion of 'Internet rights and principles' as a
cross-cutting theme, the view was also held that there was no established
definition of this theme and that therefore it should not be discussed at
the Sharm El Sheikh meeting."

Personally it seems to me that if an issue as important as this one cannot
be discussed because a definition does not exists, then that means it is
past time to clarify the meaning of the phrase.

The section on Critical Internet Resources includes the note that "There was
a general agreement that no topic, however contentious, should be excluded
from the discussions under this heading. It was recognized that this cluster
of issues could benefit most from an open discussion."

I think we should find a way to ask for that same qualification for Internet
Rights and Principles.

If we have a statement prepared before April 21st, it could be sent to the
IGF Secretariat for consideration in the revised version of the Programme.

Any thoughts?

Ginger

Ms. Virginia (Ginger) Paque

DiploFoundation