[governance] Workshop Proposal - Towards a zero carbon Internet

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Apr 12 19:20:01 EDT 2009

Let me know what you think of IGC endorsement of a proposal along these
lines, or any suggested changes. I appreciate this is a particular interest
of mine and a way away from the normal business of IGC, but would be happy
to see IGC involved if people feel that way.

Title Towards a zero carbon Internet

Concise description

This workshop is to specifically explore the steps which can be taken by
Internet users, but specifically by large private sector and governmental
users, to substantially reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated with
current internet usage patterns and architectures.

Much investigation in this area has been undertaken and there are some fine
private sector examples we can look at. There are also known actions which
can be easily adopted which will be outlined during the workshop.

Please note that this workshop should not be combined with workshops looking
at measurement of IT greenhouse gas emissions to meet carbon trading scheme
requirements. Important as those measures are, they result in an entirely
different discussion involving a different set of stakeholders. This
workshop is about what can be done immediately and work going on in the
field at this time.

Relates to theme -

Critical Internet Resources

If so, who would you approach as co-organizers ? If not, who do you think
should organize it?

We would seek to have involved represntatives of  Google and VMWare,  a
representative of the Internet Architecture Board, a representative of
CANARIE (Canada) who have a significant program in this area, IISD, APC and
others.

Ian Peter

PO Box 429

Bangalow NSW 2479

Australia

Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

www.ianpeter.com