[governance] role of IGF Chair's Special Advisors

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Mon Apr 6 12:44:11 EDT 2009

Dear Adam, this is no different from the past, of course, when other
people were special advisors. But since the choice of special advisors
is the chair's and not subject to recommendation lists, there remains to
discuss only what level or type of participation they should have in the
formal MAG processes.

The chair probably is going to revamp the special advisors list as soon
as the list of new members is announced (but both the SAs' and members'
lists are, again, executive decisions, either by the chair or the
secretariat general, we constituencies can only recommend names for
members and I do not think it makes sense recommending names for SAs).
The very need for SAs (or lack of them) is an executive decision.

Usually the online forum (mailing list) is free for anyone including SAs
to opinate (and I think it should be). As to the MAG meetings, I
understand the practice is SAs cannot vote when a vote is needed, and
can ask for / provide clarifications and so on.

What is the problem or issue you have detected which merits going into
this, except for the comment you mention? I am far more worried about
the new members' list, wondering if people who have been chosen less
than a year ago will remain, how the 1/3 criteria will be applied (if
so) etc.

frt rgds

--c.a.

Adam Peake wrote:
> February last year we sent a comment for a consultation on the renewal
> and restructuring of the MAG <http://www.igcaucus.org/node/9> asking for
> clarification about the role of Chair's Special Advisors and criteria
> for their selection.
>
> Seems strange to have criteria and process for MAG members, and then a
> group of people who act as equal to any other MAG member, but without
> any concern for their selection, diversity, representation, even number.
>
> As there's a MAG renewal process going on now, suggest we ask that
> answers about the role etc of advisors be given when the new MAG is
> announced.
>
> Adam

Carlos A. Afonso
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
www.rits.org.br                  www.rets.org.br
www.nupef.org.br             www.politics.org.br
www.ritsnet.org.br

     governance at lists.cpsr.org