[governance] Proposed text for a sign-on or IGC statement re:

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Apr 6 04:59:31 EDT 2009

>Milton L Mueller wrote:
>>As a quick response (on the road, must run out
>>the door soon), I think we are using the term
>>³private sector² in very different ways. To me
>>it just means ³civil society² in the more
>>general sense that the term has been used in
>>political theory, which includes the voluntary,
>>agreement-based non-governmental parts of
>>society. This includes both business and what
>>we on this list consider to be noncommercial
>>civil society.
>>
>There are different traditions in defining civil
>society. In the US, it is quite common to
>include the business sector in this definition.
>All out attempts to delineate civil society, for
>example against hybrids such as ISOC or people
>with several hats, have amounted to nothing.
>Yet, for out own discussion it would be useful
>if we could at least agree whether or not the
>private sector is part of our understanding of
>civil society.

Given the caucus' origins are with WSIS, where
the private (business/commercial) sector was
identified as a separate group, seems right to
say civil society for the purposes of the caucus
and IGF means noncommercial civil society.
Wasn't WSIS the first time (or among the first
times) the UN formally recognized
business/private sector as a group separate from
civil society.  Until WSIS, civil society in the
UN meant just about everyone except governments
(including parliamentarians and media.)

Private sector coordination in the ICANN context
means coordination *not* led by government, it
includes both commercial and noncommercial (i.e.
private vs public.)  ICANN is a private
not-for-profit corporation. Private here means
the same as the traditional broad definition of
civil society as everything but govt.

So... civil society in IGF means noncommercial.

Private sector coordination and the Internet
means coordination led by both commercial and
noncommercial actors.

Internet community... too confusing for me.

(All sounds too convoluted to be correct :-) )

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org