[governance] My blog on the Tuesday consultation

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 18 00:12:20 EDT 2008

McTim and all,

McTim wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> >
> > The technical community has some kind of distrust about spaces outside their
> > own ones, which, especially the policy oriented ones, are seen by them as
> > threatening to bring in statist control over the internet, which they (as
> > per their opinion) manage
>
> it is NOT their opinion that they "manage the Internet".  They manage
> Internet resources, standards processes, coordinate protocols
> assignments, etc.

Essentially by definition mostly correct.  They ( ICANN ) also
are responsible under the MOU for the safety and security of
the Internet.

> quite well. They do not think they need any, or
> > any further, political inputs,
>
> Then why do they spend so much time, effort and money on things like
> the WSIS/IGF/OECD/$_name??  I have to say that much of the bloat of
> the ICANN budget that some on this list complain about so bitterly
> comes from such efforts.

  Because ICANN is in accordance with the sprit of the MOU, required
to be open, transparent and most importantly, accountable to the users,
whom are of many different points of views.

> Why is it that when a group of people all have the same opinion on
> something, we assume there is a conspiracy?  Maybe they just share the
> same view?

  Maybe pigs will fly some day, but I doubt it, and hopefully will
not live long enough to experience such a awful evolution.  Yet I
am sure that the cosmetics industry has seen a jump in lipstick sales. >:)
However in ICANN's case, perhaps the cosmetics industry needs
a beauty product for the other end of that sow?  >:)

> What if, say, someone were to blog and accuse you and Milton and
> Russia and China, et. al., of coordinating efforts on this issue, it
> would be unfair, wouldn't it?  Appearances can be deceiving.

  Of course it would, just as much as ICANN's Bod and staff accusing
others for their own deficiencies.  Deceit isn't a one way street.

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
> mctim.blogspot.com

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com