[governance] Concerns regarding Gender Balance, Youth and developing country CS members participation in IGF Hyderabad

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 03:57:07 EDT 2008

Reference to APC's interventions during the preparatory meetings for
IGF Hyderabad, has the IGF secretariate shared any document that
ensures that IGF in Hyderabad will carry gender balance and youth
participation and involvement to a level deemed fair by civil society?
Will the CS Caucus carryout any level of transparency and
accountabilty to ensure this?

Secondly, at any point in time, has the IGF considered bringing in
individual actors and stakeholders into the IGF process from
developing world countries where these individuals are not represented
by organizational or government backing but have held their roles in
effective participation in global dialogue on Internet governance from
their regions?

When the IGF declares to be an open and inclusive process, no support
mechanism have either been proposed nor identified by its secretariate
where representation from developing world country can both be
supported and increased. Many civil society participants of the WSIS
process that were not represented by any particular civil society
organization were supported to participate but have not seen the
inside of the IGF process after WSIS.

These stakeholders are members of the multistakeholder groups and
share important contributions to the IGF process, there seems to be no
clear process whereby these stakeholders can meet financial needs for
participation and the constraints continue to their participation in
the IGF.

Though I would like to elaborate my concerns more but are there any
anticipated solutions to these issues or should we continue to just
watch recorded web cast videos and read transcripts of the
proceedings?

--

Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org