[governance] Running on Empty: the challenge of managing Internet addresses

Tom Vest tvest at eyeconomics.com
Fri Sep 12 11:27:50 EDT 2008

On Sep 12, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> http://tprcweb.com/files/Lehr%20Vest%20Lear%20Internet%20Address%20TPRC%208_15_08.pdf
>
>   Running on Empty: the challenge of managing Internet addresses
>   William Lehr (MIT),  Tom Vest (RIPE NCC) and Eliot Lear (Cisco)
>
> A bit technical, quite pro-market, but a detailed description of an
> Internet governance issue that will have more and more importance as
> the last IPv4 addresses are allocated. As Geoff Huston is fond of
> saying, "scarcity never brings the best out of people".

Hi Stephane,

The paper was a collaborative effort, one in which the co-authors
belatedly discovered that they have strong and largely incompatible
views.
I think a close reading of the paper, with special attention given to
the description of the potential risks of a market-based approach to
managing IP addresses, might inspire a slightly different conclusion.

In any case, I'm here (and Bill is as well, I believe) if anyone has
questions or additional comments about the paper, or the issue more
generally.

Regards,

Tom Vest

     governance at lists.cpsr.org