[governance] Consensus call on rights statement - yes or no vote required

Omar Kaminski omar at kaminski.adv.br
Fri Sep 12 10:07:10 EDT 2008

Yes.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ian Peter
  To: governance at lists.cpsr.org
  Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:46 PM
  Subject: [governance] Consensus call on rights statement - yes or no vote required

  Folks, I am about to post the final version of the rights statement. Time has run out, and we have to give a YES or NO response within 48 hours.

  I have had to try to steer a path between those who would feel uncomfortable with any statement that suggested exploring new and contentious rights, and those who would want to reject any statement that did not. Milton described the problem as insoluble - perhaps he is right. But with many of us feeling that this rights theme must be explored, I have had to try to come up with something acceptable to both parties.

  I believe the only way this could be done was to substantially change the emphasis of the statement. I have attempted to do this, and in the process may well have upset some. My intention here is quite clear - to get a statement acceptable to this list. To me it's important that we advance the theme and have this emphasis at Cairo.

  In the process we may all have to give a little. We may not agree with everything.

  I've changed the order of a few things to improve acceptability, emphasis, and expression. More than I normally would want to at this stage. But I believe that was necessary to get a consensus statement.

  Let me also say that this has been one of the most interesting discussions on this list for some time, with some very valid, expert, and differing opinions being advanced.

  My attempt at a statement acceptable to everyone follows in a separate message.

  Ian Peter

  Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd

  PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000

  Australia

  Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

  www.ianpeter.com