[governance] Consensus call on rights theme - yes or no response required.

ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:40:18 EDT 2008

Accord -  YES - on similar grounds as Jeremy submits.

With best wishes, LDMF.
Dr.Linda D. Misek-Falkoff

On 9/11/08, Jeremy Malcolm <Jeremy at malcolm.id.au> wrote:
> I am going to vote YES despite my strong reservations about certain of
> the rights posited here, on the basis that at least this will put the
> topic of rights squarely on the agenda where the disagreements we have
> can be debated openly and in depth.  However if it would be possible
> to substitute "Internet" for "internet", all the better.
>
> On 12/09/2008, at 5:51 AM, Ian Peter wrote:
>
>> Please respond within 48 hours with a YESor NO to adoption of this
>> statement so it can be sent to the Secretariat before the deadline.
>>

>> Rights and the Internet as the over-arching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt
>>

>> The Internet Governance Caucus strongly recommends that 'Rights and
>> the Internet' be made the overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt, and
>> that the IGF-4's program be framed by the desire for developing a
>> rights-based discourse in the area of Internet Governance. The
>> Caucus has already expressed support for the letter on this subject
>> which was sent to the MAG by the Dynamic Coalition on an Internet
>> Bill of Rights.
>>

>> The IGC offers the IGF assistance in helping to shape such a
>> discourse at the IGF meetings, and specifically to help make 'Rights
>> and the Internet' an overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt.
>>
>> A complex new emerging ecology of rights and the internet
>>

>>  One important purpose of a discourse on rights should be to clarify
>> and reach greater consensus on how rights with respect to the
>> Internet are defined, how they relate to pre-existing definitions of
>> human rights, and which ones need to be internationally recognized
>> and strengthened. Within this context, we acknowledge that, even
>> within the civil society caucus, differences of opinion exist as to
>> the nature of various rights and conceptual rights and the degree to
>> which they should be emphasized in internet governance discussions.
>>
>> While the internet opens unprecedented economic, social and
>> political opportunities in many areas, many fear that it may at the
>> same time be further widening economic, social and political
>> divides. It is for this reason that development has been a central
>> theme for the IGF meetings to date. In this new, more global and
>> digital context it might be useful to explore what the term "right
>> to development" means.
>>

>> With respect to privacy rights, corporations and governments are
>> increasingly able to extend digital tentacles into people's homes
>> and personal devices, in manners invisible to consumers and
>> citizens. Consumers of digital products thus face new challenges
>> including the right to know and completely 'own' the products and
>> services they pay for. Technological measures to monitor and control
>> user behavior on the internet are becoming increasingly
>> sophisticated, and often outrun public policies and traditional
>> concepts of what rights users have.
>>

>> While property rights are of considerable importance, their
>> applicability and mutations in the digital environment have led to
> [...]

For further I.D.:
Communications Coordination Committee for the U.N.
CONGO Education Committee
Annual U.N. DPI NGO Conference Planning Committee & Sub-Committes.
National Disability Party
International Disability Caucus
Persons with Pain International
WSIS, IGF, CFP onsite participant.
2007 Nominee: Global Alliance for ICT Strategy Council
Invitee, Harvard and Yale Meetings on ICT rights / Development / Law.
Member Assoc. Computing Machinery./ American Bar Assn, Trigeminal Neuralia Assn.
U.N. Mental Health Committee SubComittee on ICT.
4+ decades on Internet and Prior Nets
Reearch Asst.G.A. Resolutions in Our Changing World.
Other Affiliations on Request.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org