[governance] Consensus call on IGF review - YESor NO response required

ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 23:40:42 EDT 2008

Yes..

Well done IGF contribution - a rich endorsement of the open,
transparent, representative, material, timely, deep, sweeping,
inclusive, substantive, and more ...  (the original far superior of
course to this brief list of projected feature markers)..

Thanking you.
LDMF.

On 9/11/08, Jeremy Malcolm <Jeremy at malcolm.id.au> wrote:
> YES
>
> On 12/09/2008, at 5:59 AM, Ian Peter wrote:
>
>> Here is the second statement we have been preparing, and the less
>> controversial one. Again, a YES or NO response is required within 48
>> hours
>> to meet the Secretariat's deadline.
>>

>> Review of the IGF
>>

>> The Tunis Agenda (TA) calls for examining "the desirability of the
>> continuation of the Forum in formal consultation with Forum
>> participants, within five years of its creation, and to make
>> recommendations to the UN Membership..". In this regard, we have two
>> sets of comments. One set is regarding the process of the
>> 'examining' or
>> review of the IGF, and another consists of our substantive comments on
>> the role, mandate and structure of the IGF.
>>

>> Process of review
>>

>> As mentioned in the Tunis Agenda, the process of review should be
>> centered on consultations with Forum (IGF) participants. These
>> consultations should be both formal and informal. It is important to
>> lay
>> out clear formal processes, apart from informal ones. It will also be
>> necessary to go beyond IGF participants to reach out to other
>> interested
>> stakeholders, who for different reasons may not attend the IGF
>> meetings.
>> In reaching out, the process of consultations should especially keep
>> in
>> mind constituencies that have lesser participation in IG issues at
>> present, including constituencies in developing counties including
>> those
>> of civil society. Other groups with lower participation in IG issues
>> like women, ethnic minorities and disability groups should also be
>> especially reached out to.
>>

>> If it is found necessary to do a expert evaluation to help the process
>> of review, the process should be open and transparent. It is not
>> advisable to rely solely on a pro bono evaluation, by any agency that
>> offers it, for such a politically sensitive and important assessment.
>> The selected experts should have adequate expertise in matter of
>> global
>> public policy and policy institutions. In view of the geo-political
>> significance of IG, it may be useful to have a reputed public policy
>> institution in the global South do the evaluation in partnership with
>> one such institution from the North. Even if reliance on existing
>> global
>> institutions is sought, there should be adequate balancing of
>> perspectives, and partnerships are a good way to ensure it.
>>

>> It is important that the process of review starts at the earliest,
>> preferably with the forthcoming IGF meeting in Hyderabad. IGC held a
>> workshop on 'role and mandate of the IGF' at Rio (see
>> http://intgovforum.org/Rio_event_report.php?mem=30 ), and plans
>> another
> [...]

For further I.D.:
Communications Coordination Committee for the U.N.
CONGO Education Committee
Annual U.N. DPI NGO Conference Planning Committee & Sub-Committes.
National Disability Party
International Disability Caucus
Persons with Pain International
WSIS, IGF, CFP onsite participant.
2007 Nominee: Global Alliance for ICT Strategy Council
Invitee, Harvard and Yale Meetings on ICT rights / Development / Law.
Member Assoc. Computing Machinery./ American Bar Assn, Trigeminal Neuralia Assn.
U.N. Mental Health Committee SubComittee on ICT.
4+ decades on Internet and Prior Nets
Reearch Asst.G.A. Resolutions in Our Changing World.
Other Affiliations on Request.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org