[governance] Consensus call on rights theme - yes or no response required.

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Thu Sep 11 22:36:49 EDT 2008

Just a quick comment onone point onnly:

On Friday, 12 September 2008 08:40:26 Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> I am going to vote YES despite my strong reservations about certain of
> the rights posited here, on the basis that at least this will put the
> topic of rights squarely on the agenda where the disagreements we have
> can be debated openly and in depth.  However if it would be possible
> to substitute "Internet" for "internet", all the better.

To substitute "Internet" for "internet" would, of course, open another wide
debate, which has been also going on for some time.

In my context of colleagues, friends, mailing lists etc. the use of "Internet"
indicates that we talk about the system we use here - with ONE common root
and point-to-point connectivity with all who participate, and for which ICANN
is having an important function.

But there are alternative systms, using an alternative root, independent from
ICANN, and offering - first of all - connectivity among those who use their
specific internet system. Some of them provide connectivity to the Internet,
but from the Internet to these internets, connectivity depends on setting
specific gateways etc. and a lot of technical, social, and legal implications
are far from being discussed to the end.

I would prefer to keep Internet in this document - though the discusion of a
variety of smaller internets is an interstng discussion, but we did not
engage in it here.

Norbert klein
Open Institute - Cambodia

--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia,
please visit us regularly - you can find something new every day:

http://cambodiamirror.wordpress.com (English)
http://kanhchoksangkum.wordpress.com (Khmer)
     governance at lists.cpsr.org