[governance] Call for final comments - rights as a theme for cairo

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 01:49:42 EDT 2008

Hello Ian Peter,

I have stumbled on the statement "Rights to the Internet should never be
conditional" in Fouad Bajwa's message which if incorporated addresses all my
concerns as well.

This is the very idea that I tried to convey, first by pointing to the fact
that rights as a theme for discussion would pave way for a discussion on
measures to enforce rights - in other words, conditions to guarantee rights.
When that did not sink in, I tried a reverse path to point out possible
extreme positions, Great, rights is a great topic, collective rights is also
a great idea, Let's work to get different broadband price plans for men and
women, free movie downloads for people living in the mountains. I went on to
point out possible extremes in language based demand, which would give a
hint of religion based or region based demands. At the risk of being quoted
out of context, or dubbed anti-establishment, I  brought Barlow's draft as a
fierce statement on rights, and then proposed a (draft) preamble to draw
attention to the fundamental characteristics of the Internet (as first
draft, to be commented and modified word for word, but there isn't time to
do that as you have pointed out which I did accept). All that is out of
concerns for the conditions that are implicit in any "approval" or even
"adoption" of rights.

1. If we can include the statement "Rights to the Internet should never be
conditional", may be the theme is better pronounced. There are implied
obligations that go with any established right, which is Ok, and implied
obligations differ in nature from overtly or subtly negotiated conditions.
So we need to say "unconditional" prominently. Rights, in spirit, are
non-negotiable.

2. I would prefer the term "Internet Rights" to "Rights" - 'Internet Rights'
defined as "Right to Internet and Rights on the Internet".

3. The specific text that can also be included is this:

"Internet is Open and Accessible and fosters Open Standards and Open
Ecosystems. In this context the theme would also covers the right to the
freest possible flow of information domestically and globally, the right to
share one's creations, remix, reuse freely"

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
India.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/sivasubramanianmuthusamy