[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Mon Sep 8 11:22:22 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 06:11:33PM +0300, Tapani Tarvainen (tapani.tarvainen at effi.org) wrote:

> > When we say " It may also be
> > useful to explore if and whether positive and collective rights are
> > meaningful in relation to the Internet" We are being as exploratory as
> > one can.
>
> Yes. That formulation is acceptable to me

I must retract a bit here.

My main gripe here was the subsequent "for example", omitted above,
as it makes an implicit but strong statement on the nature of those
rights - in particular hinting that there _is_ no such thing as
negative, non-collective right to Internet access, and because
"cultural rights" is too often used only as an excuse to restrict
individual rights. I would also change "are" to "could be", to
avoid making a strong statement about the existence of such rights.

--
Tapani Tarvainen
     governance at lists.cpsr.org