[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 6 19:35:29 EDT 2008

Jeanette and all,

  I for one don't know what a “significant participants in CS" is or
how such could be reasonably or accurately defined.

  I agree if I understand you right Jeanette, that advocacy-oriented
groups as a goal as part of the definition is not agreeable either.  If
however these advocacy-oriented groups are in agreement with such
goals as a definition of what "Rights" should be included, than my view
could and likely should be changed at that point.  Presently I don't
know that to be the case.  But still it is good that Parminder included
such, as likely as not, we may not ever know reasonably know if
such agreement is recognized.

  One thing is for certain, the WTO is not now, and is unlikely to
be in agreement with what Parminder describes as "Collective Rights",
and for better or worse, I am in agreement with the WTO as such.
No group of any sort should have or be considered to have extra-ordinary
rights that an individual doesn't have.

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I will not like to go with a statement issued on the behalf of IGC which
> > says that “significant participants in CS
 contest the positive and
> [...]
> can agree upon. Your division of North and South doesn't quite work for
> this list. Sivasubramanian Muthusamy also supports what you call a
> North-centric view.
> To me it seems that you hold an advocacy-oriented view to rights where
> the desired goals have become part of the definition. This is what I
> don't support.
> jeanette
>

> > It took many decades of struggles for Southern groups and many other
> > excluded people to get their voice and concerns into the global human
> > rights framework, as underpinning global polity (to the extent it
> > exists) and I cannot accept that a new information society or IG
> > discourse takes that progress backwards. I say this because I am very
> > cognizant that the ideological discourse of a ‘brave new world’ of an
> > information society is already rigged greatly in such a regressive way,
> > and I will not support IGC making a statement that helps this along.
> >

> > And Milton, in fact you are quite tuned in to strategic importance and
> > implication of texts that goes out from the IGC, to try the simplistic
> > logic with me that – well, the contestation within CS is only a
> > statement of fact.
> >

> >>Believe me, ANY contestation of IPR, no matter how subtle, is going to
> > provoke fanatical opposition in the IGF context, so you had better make
> > damn sure we are unified >on this one. (Milton, from another email)
> >

> > While I thank you for agreeing with my description of IPRs as a positive
> > right, if at all a right (which I greatly doubt) your words of wisdom on
> > why we cant be seen to be contesting IPR are interesting. It may help
> > you to know that every single civil society group I work with in India
> > and in other developing countries will consider it anathema for a CS
> > statement casting doubts on the very existence on positive and
> > collective rights, and there will be, to use your words ’fanatical
> > opposition’. Why aren’t you concerned with this fanatical opposition, if
> > you are at all concerned to keep the global CS legitimacy of the IGC. I
> > am very much concerned on this count, and therefore oppose the text
> > proposed by you.
> >

> > I can only agree to the following.  (I have added another ‘may’ to my
> > earlier text, to further ‘weaken’ the text on positive and collective
> > rights)
> >

> > “The openness and diversity of the internet are underpinned by widely
> > recognized (but still imperfectly enforced) basic human rights: the
> > individual right to freedom of expression and to privacy. It may also be
> > useful to explore if and how positive and collective rights may be
> > meaningful in relation to the Internet – for instance a right to
> > Internet access, or a right of cultural expression - including the right
> > to have an Internet in ones own language, which can inform the important
> > IGF thematic area of cultural diversity.”
> >

> > Pleas let me know if you at all agree with this or not.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com