[governance] Re: Internationalization of email addresses completed

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Sun Sep 7 16:12:15 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 09:37:24PM +0200,
 Kicki Nordström <kicki.nordstrom at srfriks.org> wrote
 a message of 132 lines which said:

> Will that means that we, who use "Å, Ä, and Ö) and many other
> different signs or letters in an additional common alphabet, can use
> our different signs?

In the future, yes, kicki.nordström at lidingö.se will work. In the
future because what is now completed is just the standardization
step. Software authors now have to program (it is partly done, see
<http://cslab.kr/eai-test/index.php/Main_Page>) and providers have to
deploy it.

Because of experience with other deployments, we should be
patient. Unicode in the email body is standard for sixteen years and
there are still sometimes problems with non-ASCII characters. Unicode
in domain names is standard for five years and is still not in the
ICANN root (same thing for many TLD). The standards are just the first
step!
     governance at lists.cpsr.org