[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 5 20:33:02 EDT 2008

Parminder and all,

  Try to remember, there is no "Balance" between security and
privacy.  Ben Franklin said it far better than I can: "“Those who
would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Parminder wrote:

> Milton
>
> > This proposed amendment does not make it clear that there are
> significant participants in CS who contest the positive and
> collectivist notions, so I can't accept it.
>
> I will not like to go with a statement issued on the behalf of IGC
> which says that “significant participants in CS
 contest the positive
> and collectivist notions” of rights. The best I can agree to is as
> stated in the para I proposed where FoE and privacy are in some form
> considered basic, and established, rights, while we only speak of
> exploratory language about positive and collective rights vis a vis
> the Internet.
>
> You say that
>
> > I did not delete that language, in regard to RTDevelopment, I think
> it is perfectly acceptable to "explore" contested issues.
>
> Why not agree to the same logic in general about positive and
> collective rights. We are merely saying “It may also be useful to
> explore if and how positive and collective rights may be
> meaningful

” .. Why do you object to it?

> [...]
> of human rights. I did surf the net a bit in last few hours and I
> could not find a single global human rights groups with any degree of
> really global participation which did not strongly endorse and work
> for positive and collective rights (If you know of any such group, you
> can please point it to me.)
>
> It took many decades of struggles for Southern groups and many other
> excluded people to get their voice and concerns into the global human
> rights framework, as underpinning global polity (to the extent it
> exists) and I cannot accept that a new information society or IG
> discourse takes that progress backwards. I say this because I am very
> cognizant that the ideological discourse of a ‘brave new world’ of an
> information society is already rigged greatly in such a regressive
> way, and I will not support IGC making a statement that helps this
> along.
>
> And Milton, in fact you are quite tuned in to strategic importance and
> implication of texts that goes out from the IGC, to try the simplistic
> logic with me that – well, the contestation within CS is only a
> statement of fact.
>
> >Believe me, ANY contestation of IPR, no matter how subtle, is going
> to provoke fanatical opposition in the IGF context, so you had better
> make damn sure we are unified >on this one. (Milton, from another
> email)
>
> While I thank you for agreeing with my description of IPRs as a
> positive right, if at all a right (which I greatly doubt) your words
> of wisdom on why we cant be seen to be contesting IPR are interesting.
> It may help you to know that every single civil society group I work
> with in India and in other developing countries will consider it
> anathema for a CS statement casting doubts on the very existence on
> positive and collective rights, and there will be, to use your words
> ’fanatical opposition’. Why aren’t you concerned with this fanatical
> opposition, if you are at all concerned to keep the global CS
> legitimacy of the IGC. I am very much concerned on this count, and
> therefore oppose the text proposed by you.
>
> I can only agree to the following.  (I have added another ‘may’ to my
> earlier text, to further ‘weaken’ the text on positive and collective
> rights)
>
> “The openness and diversity of the internet are underpinned by widely
> recognized (but still imperfectly enforced) basic human rights: the
> individual right to freedom of expression and to privacy. It may also
> be useful to explore if and how positive and collective rights may be
> meaningful in relation to the Internet – for instance a right to
> Internet access, or a right of cultural expression - including the
> right to have an Internet in ones own language, which can inform the
> important IGF thematic area of cultural diversity.”
>
> Pleas let me know if you at all agree with this or not.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com