[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 5 17:55:09 EDT 2008

Sivasubramanian and all,

  Very much agree here, Sivasubramanian!  >:)  Of course, the only
nearly universally "Natural Rights" are life, liberty, and the pursuit
of
happiness.  In my country these "Rights" are called "Inalienable
Rights".

  Even access to the Internet would not likely fall in the category
of "Natural Rights"/"Inalienable Rights".  Nor would freedom or
expression in the use of the Internet.

  But this should not dissuade or discourage including other "Rights"
in a "Internet Bill of Rights".  Yet it should be understood that Nation

states will have to approve such if such rights are ever to be realized,

and/or recognized.  A daunting task, yes.  But still doable.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy wrote:

> Hello Parminder and All,
>
> The topic proposed as the theme for the forthcoming IGF - "Rights"
> needs to be very very carefully worded, especially because the word
> "Rights" have varying connotations in diplomatic parlance.
>
> There are two general concepts of rights, the idea of natural rights,
> which holds that we abtain certain rights from nature that cannot be
> legitimately modified by any legislative authority, and the idea of
> legal rights which holds that all rights are arbitrary, created by
> legislative authority and always subject to change.
>
> At the IGF, the proponents of greater role for Governments would be
> prone to interpret the term "Rights" in the later context.
>
> Rights serve as rules of interaction between people, and, as such,
> they place constraints and obligations upon the actions of individuals
> or groups (for example, if one has a right to life, others cannot have
> the liberty to kill).
>
> What if the proposed topic leads to a discussion on "Who is going to
> accord the rights and what mechanisms are needed (on the part of
> Governments) to guarantee the rights ? That would be contrary to the
> Internet Model which needs to be thoroughly understood, unambiguously
> by all parties to the debate on Governance.
>
> In other words, if not carefully worded or discussed, this topic of
> Rights would become a veiled topic of Controls that would go towards
> disturbing the essential characteristics of the Internet.
>
> Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
> India.
> --
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/sivasubramanianmuthusamy
>

> On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Hakikur Rahman <email at hakik.org>
> wrote:
>
>      More or less agreed, but openness and diversity depend on a
>      few other parameters as stated in the statement. Right to
>      freedom of expression is part of them.
>
>      Best regards,
>      Hakik
>
>      At 11:02 PM 9/6/2008, McTim wrote:
>
>           On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Parminder
>           <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>
>           >
>           >
>           > "The openness and diversity of the internet are
>           underpinned by widely
>           > recognized (but still imperfectly enforced)
>           basic human rights: the
>           > individual right to freedom of expression and to
>           privacy. It may also be
>           > useful to explore if and how positive and
>           collective rights may be
>           > meaningful in relation to the Internet ­ for
>           instance a right to Internet
>           > access, or a right of cultural expression -
>           including the right to have an
>           > Internet in ones own language, which can inform
>           the important IGF thematic
>           > area of cultural diversity."
>           >
>           >
>           >
>           > Pleas let me know if you at all agree with this
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com