[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 10:42:14 EDT 2008

Hi

Yes, we have done an initial mapping of initiatives that aim to set
values-based standards or principles for communications environments.
This was to feed into our own initiative, the Freedom of expression
project, which aims to link a range of important communications policy
issues to the international rights system and promote policy dialogue
around them.  You can download the paper at
http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk/resources/mapping+existing+agreeme
nts+and+principles  (forgive the sketchy quality of the diagram!)

The paper is only an initial attempt to map the field, and is intended
as a rolling document to be added to and updated as we go along.  So
contributions from caucus members into this process would be very
welcome...or comments and suggestions of how to make this or something
similar a more useful tool for the caucus and wider IGF.

I like the version of the Rights synthesis paper as it stands on the
wiki at the moment.  I agree that it's important to refer to the
disagreements/different interpretations of rights that exist, and that
this makes it all the more important that rights are explicitly on the
agenda for discussion at the IGF.  I wonder if there's also a way to
stress that talking about building rights-based IG shouldn't be seen as
threatening to companies and governments, but rather that rights provide
a set of international standards and guiding principles that can help to
inform complex policy decisions.  I'll have a think about that one...!

Thanks,

Lisa