[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 4 05:05:26 EDT 2008

Milton and all,

  Milton, after reading your "Adjustments" closely several times,
I personally found them very good.  I wouldn't change a single
word in fact.  Very well done, and thank you!  >:)

  I would from this now start to get down to specific language
in respect to specific definitions for what those "Rights" should
be.  Any objections?

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> OK, I just made some extensive edits to the rights statement. A lot of
> the small stuff was editorial, there was redundancy and awkwardness in
> many sentences, perhaps reflecting the fragmentary approach of a
> shared doc. I hope people agree on the stylistic improvements.
> Substantively, I tried to do two things:
> First, make it clearer that the definition and application of rights
> talk is contested and complicated -- and use that to bolster the
> argument that that makes it a good focus for IGF Egypt. In line with
> this, I added a quotation from the Tunis Agenda at the beginning.
> Second, group and expand certain discussions to run in a more coherent
> and structured manner. For example, there were scattered references to
> privacy which I tried to consolidate in a single para. and expand a
> bit.
> For those not on the Google docs list I append the statement below
>
> Milton Mueller
> Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
> XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
> ------------------------------
> Internet Governance Project:
> http://internetgovernance.org
>
> IGC’s input -1 to the synthesis paper for IGF, <?xml:namespace
> prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
> />Hyderabad.
>
> ‘Rights and the Internet’ as the over-arching theme for IGF-4
> in Egypt
>
> The Tunis Agenda (para. 42) invoked human rights when it reaffirmed a
> global "commitment to the freedom to seek, receive, impart and use
> information" and affirmed that "measures undertaken to ensure Internet
> stability and security, to fight cybercrime and to counter spam, must
> protect and respect the provisions for privacy and freedom of
> expression as contained in the relevant parts of the Universal
> Declaration of Human Rights and the Geneva Declaration of Principles."
> However, little follow up work has been done to enact these
> commitments to basic human rights in Internet governance.
>
> The Internet Governance Caucus strongly recommends that ‘Rights and
> the Internet’ be made the overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt, and
> that the IGF-4’s program be framed by the goal of developing a
> rights-based discourse in the area of Internet Governance. The Caucus
> has already expressed support for the letter on this subject which was
> sent to the MAG by the Dynamic Coalition on an Internet Bill of
> Rights. The IGC offers the IGF assistance in helping to shape such a
> discourse at the IGF meetings, and specifically to help make ‘Rights
> and the Internet’ an overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt.
>
> A complex new emerging ecology of rights and the internet
>
> One important purpose of a discourse on rights should be to clarify
> and reach greater consensus on how Internet rights are defined, how
> they relate to pre-existing definitions of human rights, and which
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com