[governance] Do We Need An Internet Zoning Law?

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 3 06:54:55 EDT 2008

Roland and all,

Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <48BDDD6B.40D243EC at ix.netcom.com>, at 17:42:20 on Tue, 2 Sep
> 2008, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> writes
>
> >> If that's a bid for USA rules to work extra-territorially, you are
> >> getting into tricky ground.
>
> >  No tricky ground what so ever.  Read the GATT or NAFTA trade
> >agreements for refrence.
>
> So it's a trade agreement that (eg) stops a UK-based gambling site
> having customers in the USA (in a town where gambling was banned), and
> would also permit the USA to attempt stop it having UK customers
> (because USA thinks gambling should be banned there too)?

Some states allow gambling, some even allow Internet Gambling
sites and their use, others do not.  As far as I know, no trade agreement
prohibits such in any US state.  But some US states have in the past
2 or 3 years taken it upon themselves to pass legislation prohibiting
Internet Gambling.  So your example here isn't really relevant to the
larger issue that being what is related to trade agreements.  Selling
or promoting of controlled substances/drugs would be a relevant
example for instance.  Adult erotic web sites would be another.

> >  That should take you about 5 or 6 days each.  Understanding them
> >takes a bit longer.

> >  I sort of figured you would have a bit of a difficult time parsing the
> >difference
>
> "It's all too complicated for me to explain in simple language" isn't
> going to get you many converts, I fear.

Here we agree to a point.  Not my idea certainly.  I do agree that some sorts

of DN related content needs to be regulated, even some, but far less,
needs to be banned all together.  And so yet again why Internet Zoning
as has been suggested cannot, and simply will not work due to the fact
that the Internet is global, not local in it's reach and/or access.  So to
take acceptation to some sorts of DN related content is offensive to some
in some US states, and those states are taking action to mitigate access
to such content.  Other content is considered a security and safety
concern on a national basis in the US, UK, and other nations.  So,
such access is being denied by those countries indigenous citizens
rightly or wrongly or even with or without their consent accordingly,
which the latter I personally find very questionable as the consent of
the governed is being usurped inappropriately or possibly unconstitutionally.

  FWIW, I personally see nothing bad or intrinsically evil about
internet gambling web sites.  However I personally don't gamble,
but see no reason others should be prohibited from doing so.  I do
believe that some regulation as to how Internet Gambling sites are
managed is a wise precaution against fraud and abuse of those
that may participate in Internet Gambling and that regardless of
where those sites are hosted, those regulations must be applied
and enforced vigorously.  Such would be a daunting task in
some instances such as a DN based gambling site hosted in
say, Samaila or Tajiakastan.  And such regulation must include
extradition of perpatrators of Gambling fraud as defined by
said regulations so that justice and punishment if applicable,
can be properly ajudicated and/or administered as is appropriate.

> --
> Roland Perry

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com