[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Hanane Boujemi hananeb at diplomacy.edu
Wed Sep 3 15:45:20 EDT 2008

Parminder and all,

Indeed, my suggestion of the right of a multilingual Internet is purely
reflecting the concern of a minority of Internet users who are not able to
benefit fully of  what Internet can offer. The reason lies behind the fact
that there is a clear lack of reliable online content in languages like
Arabic. The UNESCO is working on many projects to promote this concept and
other organizations who are obviously concerned.

The reason why I think a multilingual Internet might be included as right
(if we all agree) is to engage as many parties or stakeholders in  making
this concept a reality.

As a native Arabic speaker using Internet for at least 12 hours a day, I
mostly rely on English online content for the simple reason that content in
Arabic is scarce (at least for the subjects I am interested in).

This right falls as well under two major themes of IGF: diversity and
access.  I think it's feasible to include a multilingual Internet as an
inherent right.

Hanane Boujemi
IG Research Coordinator and Supervisor
Internet Governance Projects