[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Wed Sep 3 08:03:59 EDT 2008

Parminder wrote:
> Jeannette
>
>> A narrow interpretation restricts rights to those that enable rights
>> holders to file a suit against those who violate the right. I don't see
>> who could be held accountable for the lack of "an Internet in ones own
>> language". The latter might be a political goal but it certainly doesn't
>> sound like a right to me.
>
> How do you see 'right to education' then - a question that has come up here
> earlier? Do you or do you not believe in such a right?

If a national constitution contains proivisions to that effect, then
there is a right to education that should enable citizens to bring
action against the state.
In Germany, citizens can submit cases to the constitutional court if
they think their constitutional rights have been violated.
I remember a long debate in Germany about a "right to work". This wasn't
added to the constitution because it was said that the government is not
in a position to guarantee a sufficient number of jobs. I mention this
here as it seems to describe a similar situation.
jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org