[governance] Re: [ga] Washington Post to expose ICANN registrar ESTDomains

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 1 20:26:53 EDT 2008

Danny and all,

  Actually this was known years ago and discussed on the old
DNSO GA list, now defunct but archives still available.  However
the main stream media only covered parts of the whole story then.
Now, thanks to many of our members, and other individuals, a
more complete story has been properly covered/revieled, thanks
to the Washington Post, NY Times, and others.  But most of that
comprehensive story was pieced together better by Derek's
piece on his blog.
Again see: http://www.knujon.com/news.html
Kudo's to Derek!

  Yet, there is of course much, much more to this saga that has
been unfolding for nearly 9 years now, with ICANN in the
middle of it, .XXX, not withstanding...

  I can only wonder when, if ever, the DOJ is going to act?
It's not as if they have not had much of this information available
or spoon fed to them for nearly 9 years now.  I know personally,
I helped feed it to them, along with many others.  And I have all
the archives of my small contribution, along with quite a bit
of others contributions.

Danny Younger wrote:

> A Washington Post article by Brian Krebs entitled "Report Slams U.S. Host as Major Source of Badware" promises a follow-up article on ICANN accredited registrar ESTdomains:
>
> "In a follow-up post, Security Fix will examine the activities of Atrivo's largest customer: domain name registrar ESTDomains".
>
> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/08/report_slams_us_host_as_major.html
>
> Estdomains recently came to our attention when LegitScript and KnujOn sent a letter to EstDomains requesting they terminate an unlicensed steroid site being sponsored at EstDomains. We were told that EstDomains never responded and the site is sill active.
>
> Other online sources point to known Storm Botnet related FastFlux Domains registered by way of ESTDomains -- see http://www.disog.org/text/storm-fastflux.txt
>
> Also, Estdomains recently experienced over three weeks of downtime for their domain privacy protection service, the service failure exposing all domain registration information to the public during that episode -- see http://www.johnraul.com/estdomains-domain-privacy-down-for-three-weeks-now/
>
> It will be interesting to see which (if any) provisions of the proposed Registrar Accreditation Agreement will deal with the revelations that emerge in the Washington Post's next article.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com