[governance] RE: [Coalition] Draft Proposal

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 02:19:52 EDT 2008

Hello Michael Gurstein,

I happen to be one of those who participated at the OECD Ministerial
meeting.

I do not find much of information about the so called CSISAC to be known as
CSAC, except this at
http://icommons.org/blogs/the-public-voice-coalition-conference-call and it
would help if you or any one could post more information about what is
happening.

Though OECD is a regional organization, its initiatives and programs related
to the "Future of Internet" is bound to have an influence on how Internet
Governance takes shape due to its visibility and its position as body formed
by a coalition of the economically most powerful nations. So it becomes
important for the Civil Society to observe and react to the OECD initiatives
related to Internet Governance.

The issues you have raised related to representation by the disadvantaged
and marginalized communities. Actually the concerns are much broader. On
Internet Governance debates it is indicated that a multi-stakeholder
approach would prevail, but to implement this approach some thing very basic
needs to be done: Those present representing a certain stakeholder group
needs to a) truly belong to that stakeholder group b) truly represent the
interests of that stakeholder group and c) be present and participate in a
strength sufficient enough to represent the various interests within that
stakeholder group, sufficient enough to be an equal to the other stakeholder
groups.

CSISAC to be known as CSAC is intended to be an "Advisory Group" that is
bound to have a role in ensuring what organizations get acknowledged as
Civil Society and in determining the 'quality' or Civil Society
participation at the OECD deliberations and possibly in related forums.

It is necessary that responsible Civil Society bodies including the IGC
takes note of this OECD initiative and ensure fair and equitable
representation of the Civil Society for a participatory role.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
ISOC India Chennai.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/sivasubramanianmuthusamy