[governance] Tech giants in human rights deal

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 28 23:31:28 EDT 2008

Peter and all,

  Always good to hear from you Peter.  I believe the search
engine you might have been looking for or thinking of is
ASK  www.ask.com.  I certainly prefer it to Google any day,
simply because it provides far better for users security and
privacy.  Maybe someday, Google will get it, but seems that
day is not today.

  Certainly you are correct in my opinion and the opinion of
the vast majority of our members that MS, Yahoo and Google
are the "Big 3" that thwart online free speech, despite their
own marketing jargon and civil society affiliations to the contrary
for the sake of appearances.  Look at what they do, not what they
say.  Sen. Obama is quite right on that score.  If it looks like a duck,
walks like a duck, paddles in the water like a duck, but doesn't
quack like a duck, it 75% likely it's a duck.  However some might
say/think its a hybrid!  >:)  Maybe their right, but if so its a lousy
one.

Peter Dambier wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> accidently been reading
>
> Microsoft, Google and Yahoo to offer better protection from online free speech.
>
> Whenever you have time or get unexpected results try to compare
>
> google.de - keep the interface in german
> google.fr - french interface
> google.sp - keep the interface in spanish
> google.it - keep the interface in italian
> google.nl - keep the interface in dutch
>
> Even "harmless" queries for a bank or a cult might give you the pros in
> one language and the cons in the other e.g. the company in german the
> trade union in french, querying for a german company.
>
> As long as you dont look for Berlusconi, italian might be the
> best joice. If you want to find the lies only, try english.
>
> Well, we dont depend on google. There are other search engines - I only
> cannot remember which ones.
>
> Kind regards
> Peter
>
> kwasi boakye-akyeampong wrote:
> > My apologies for cross posting.
> >
> > Kwasi
> > *__*
> > *_Tech giants in human rights deal_*
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7696356.stm
> >
> > By Maggie Shiels
> > Technology reporter, BBC News, Silicon Valley
> >

> > People using the internet in Beijing
> > Google was accused of censoring 2% of search results in China
> >
> > *Microsoft, Google and Yahoo have signed a global code of conduct
> > promising to offer better protection for online free speech and against
> > official intrusion.*
> >
> > The Global Network Initiative follows criticism that companies were
> > assisting governments in countries like China to censor the Internet.
> > The guidelines seek to limit what data should be shared with
> > authorities, in cases where free speech is an issue.
> > "This is an important first step," said Mike Posner of Human Rights First.
> > He told the BBC "What this is is a recognition by all these tech
> > companies, the human rights groups and social investors that there has
> > to be a collective response to this growing problem.
> > "Companies need to step up to the plate and be more aggressive in
> > challenging unwarranted government interference," he said.
> > The initiative states that privacy is "a human right and guarantor of
> > human dignity," and the agreement commits the companies to try to resist
> > overly broad demands for restrictions on freedom of speech and the
> > privacy of users.
> > They will also assess the human rights climate in a country before
> > concluding business deals and make sure their employees and partners
> > follow suit.
> > "These principles are not going to be a silver bullet, but the most
> > important point for me is to provide transparency," said Danny O'Brien
> > of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
> > "We have joined this initiative because we know that a wide range of
> > groups working together can achieve much more than the company acting
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com