[governance] visas for india?

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:15:51 EDT 2008

Hello All,

By comparison, (or to inspire the Government of India), here is an account
of how the OECD Secretariat responded to a similar situation when I sent an
email to draw attention to my VISA application to visit Korea to attend the
OECD Ministerial Meeting on the Future of Internet.

My trip was finalized so late that there was barely enough time for my
passport to reach the Korean Embassy in Delhi, just a day to process (the
Embassy usually takes three days) and barely enough time for the passport to
travel back from Delhi to Chennai. So I sent an email to the OECD
Secretariat asking them to send a second email to the Korean Embassy in
Delhi ( in addition to the invitation that had already been automatically
faxed from the OECD Secretariat to the Korean Embassy in Delhi to say that I
am an invited participant).

My email was instantly forwarded to an Executive at the OECD Secretariat for
immediate attention, and he telephoned the Consul at the South Korean
Embassy at Delhi, then sent me an email to say that he has spoken to the
Consul and advised me to advise my Agent to take the papers straight
upstairs to the Counsel's Office. He also spoke to me to keep me informed of
his efforts, called me thrice more, sent two or three messages during those
two days to check the status and to ask me if it was done, and did not stop
until I told him that I got my VISA.  My VISA was processed on the same day
and was rushed back. I made it to the OECD meeting.

Hopefully the IGF Secretariat and the Ministries of Commerce and External
Affairs in India prioritize VISA applications by IGF participants in Indian
Embassies around the world !

(Parminder could also offer his valuable Special Advice to the IGF Chair on
this)

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
ISOC India Chennai Chapter.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/sivasubramanianmuthusamy