[governance] [Fwd: Re: [At-Large] ICANN Regional Gathering in Rome]

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 25 07:49:03 EST 2008

All,

  Forwarded for your review...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [At-Large] ICANN Regional Gathering in Rome
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:32:19 -0800
From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com>
To: At-Large Worldwide <at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org>,Danny Younger
<dannyyounger at yahoo.com>,GAC Rep <ssene at ntia.doc.gov>,ICANN Policy staff
<policy-staff at icann.org>
CC: Ga <ga at gnso.icann.org>,DOC/NTIA ICANN Rep
<aheineman at ntia.doc.gov>,At-Large Staff <staff at alac.icann.org>,"ICANN
Admin supp. Manager Karen Lettner" <karen.lettner at icann.org>,icann board
<icann-board at icann.org>,ICANN Dan Halloran <halloran at icann.org>,ICANN
Kim Davies <kim.davies at icann.org>,icann legal <jeffrey at icann.org>,ICANN
Marc Salvatierra <marc.salvatierra at icann.org>,ICANN Marilyn Vernon
<marilyn.vernon at icann.org>,Kieren McCarthy <kieren.mccarthy at icann.org>
BCC: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>

Danny and all,

  Is anyone that has any long standing history knowledge of ICANN
surprised at this behavior?  I would say not.  But of course those
stakeholders, users and Domain name holders, that are "Newbies"
will of course likely have mixed feelings.  Many of these folks now
populate the ALAC and other "Social Engineering" groups, and
can therefore be hoodwinked easily enough.

  That said, it is of course to be expected given the recent months of
exchanges between ICANN Bod and Staff members and DOC/NTIA
that any way that ICANN principals can side step their responsibilities
to the MOU, they will do so.  This is only one of many examples we
have seen over the years with I am sure more to come.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Each year ICANN hosts regional outreach gatherings for ICANN accredited registrars and gTLD registries in the Europe, Asia/Pacific, and North America regions.  These meetings are not open to the non-supplier community and no such regional gatherings are put together for any other combination of ICANN constituencies (as ICANN remains committed to its continued status as a registry/registrar cartel).
>
> ICANN's next regional gathering is the Europe Registry/Registrar Regional Gathering scheduled for January in Rome.  ICANN recently sent "Save the Date" notices to those eligible to attend, but hasn't posted anything on the ICANN website itself, and of course the at-large community has not been invited to attend.
>
> These gatherings are deemed to be relatively small information-sharing events intended to educate and inform registrars from the region and their registry partners.  ICANN sees no need to periodically educate and inform the non-contracted parties in a similar fashion.  Earlier this year ICANN held an Asia/Pacific gathering in Seoul and a North America gathering in New Orleans.  As the population of registrars expands in other parts of the world, ICANN expects to offer similar events in other regions and to continue to deny such outreach services to the remainder of the ICANN community.
>
> As was the case for the Seoul gathering and the New Orleans gathering, the Rome event will also be as non-transparent as possible with no remote participation opportunities provided, no session transcripts made available and no meeting recordings.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04