[governance] ITU and CS : moving forward

jlfullsack jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 24 10:12:44 EST 2008

Bonjour Parminder, Bill and all

I'd just complete my earlier message (see below) on a future ITU reform and CS inclusion.

One of the main themes to be addressed among those mentioned in my previous message, is how far Internet issues can be discussed in the specialized ITU bodies such as ITU-T, ITU-R and even ITU-D. When questioning that, we should keep in mind the broad spectrum of IC technology, architecture and network issues that are sussessfully dealt with in the standardisation area. Therefore debating/evaluating about the Internet stuff that could be valuably integrated in the ITU WGs and standardization process could proove adequate. In effect, a part of these issues is aleady dealt with by the ITU (e.g. VoIP, NGN, e-apllications,  ...). Of course adding such a work into the ITU activities needs additive resources, especially in financing. This is another issue that governments should tackle with more consistency than up to now at the Administrative Council, and especially during its next Plenipotenntiary conference (2010).

I know that a lot of our people are rather reluctant on such a move -a leap for some- from current bodies (mainly IETF, but also other ones such as ICANN) to a multilateral UN agency. But Internet has grown to a broad, global "net of nets", and become for most of CS organizations a "global public good". This deserves that at least its "essential/critical resources" should/could be transferred to the ITU. How and at which extend this could take place is still open for discussion. Especially under the IGF auspices. But, for the sake of this to be discussed objectively, I'd quote the IGC Statement II of its February Meeting in Geneva :
" In any case, the variety sought should be more in terms of different points of views, rather than just different stakeholders, because it is possible to gather a panel of different stakeholders with a narrow range of views on a particular subject".

And my proposal above is actually a very "particular subject" !

Jean-Louis Fullsack