[governance] Re: story to post Laws bolster penalties for privacy breaches inCalifornia

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 23 04:05:04 EST 2008

Debbie and all,

  This is IMO a good law, but not good enough, sorry to say.  Many
patients may not even have access or good access to lawyers whom
are willing and able to take on these cases to a successful end, and
when they do, the max fine is rarely levied, which at $250k is hardly
steep enough to even in many cases, cover the legal fees for the
wronged.  And in Texas, as you know, punitive damages are almost
never levied.  So stronger revision of these statutes and a federally
mandated statute is sorely needed here.

  As a security and privacy issue, this sort of thing also needs IMO
an international legal framework that is readily enforceable.  With the
International house of Justice now prosecuting civil cases, which
such a framework may be built, but I would prefer a criminal framework
to emphasize the importance and serve better as a deterrent.

  We can only hope that companies like Google, will disengage
from the sorts of activities it has significantly engaged in in
respect to privacy related data, but has thus far decided for
whatever reason not to do so sufficiently to date.  As a result,
many consumers are thus greatly exposed and have little or no
control to prevent such.  That's not expectable.  But there are
things consumers can do, one in respect to Google is to discontinue
using any Google products, which is draconian indeed and unfortunate,
but effective to a significant degree in as much as limiting the
damage.  The other, which is related, is to have a watch list of
websites/domain names that have demonstrated such lax security practices
that may impact or expose private data to the public.  A recent one I
mentioned recently is consumersinternational.org.

See:

http://member.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnslite.php?r=homepage&domain=consumersinternational.org
and
http://private.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=consumersinternational.org&token=1140487061c0016606a0758720779019
and
http://member.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnslite.php?r=homepage&domain=ciroap.org
and
http://private.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=ciroap.org&token=07b040c1680509b00230148903d99019

Although these warnings and errors are not of a overly serious sort,
they demonstrate a lack of concern and consideration for consumers that
demonstrates sloppiness and disrespect for the consumers they purport to
advocate for on in behalf of.

  Yet niether of these two suggestions will be enough either as awarness
will take a long time to be widely diciminated.  Ergo, individuals when
they run across such web sites should be encouraged to report same to
relevant and appropriate authorities and than follow up with them to
emphisize that real action needs and indeed must be taken to greater
good of us all.

Deborah Peel wrote:

> http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2008/12/01/bisa1201.htm
>
> [amednews.com]
>
> BUSINESS
>
> Laws bolster penalties for privacy breaches in California
>
> In the wake of multiple high-profile cases of snooping, the state
> cracks down on unauthorized looks at medical files.
>
> By Pamela Lewis Dolan, AMNews staff. Dec. 1, 2008.
> Eyes will be on California starting next year, but they won't be
> peeking into medical records.
>
> At least that's Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's hope; in September he
> signed into law two bills that put some teeth into patient privacy
> rules and give doctors good reason to comply.
>
> Under the new laws taking effect Jan. 1, 2009, the state has
> significantly increased fines not only for the illegal use of medical
> records but also for unauthorized access of records. The laws also
> open the door for patients to sue doctors when their records are
> accessed, even if there is no damage.
>
> Other states have privacy laws that require notification of a breach,
> but the California bills are thought by experts to be the first to
> place a strong focus on enforcement.
>
> Experts predict California's actions will lead to more states
> following suit, as well as tougher enforcement of HIPAA privacy and
> security rules, which have gone largely unenforced since they took
> effect in 2003 and 2005, respectively.
>
> California law requires hospitals to notify patients within 5 days if
> their medical records are inappropriately accessed.
>
> For physicians, "the idea behind all this is don't wait until the
> 500-pound gorilla is pounding on your door," said attorney Peter
> MacKoul, president of Sugar Land, Texas-based HIPAA Solution, a
> consultancy that helps practices become HIPAA-compliant. "It's called
> preventative action."
>
> About the same time the California governor signed the two patient
> privacy bills into law, a report published by the California Health
> Dept. found snooping incidents at the UCLA Medical Center were much
> worse than initially thought. The study found that since 2003,
> hospital workers inappropriately accessed the electronic medical
> records of 1,041 patients, including those of California first lady
> Maria Shriver. Some of those employees were feeding celebrity
> information to the media, the report said.
>
> Both of the new state laws require that medical facilities safeguard
> patient records and implement controls that would prevent not only
> malicious theft of patient information but also unauthorized access.
>
> Under SB 541, if a snooping incident like those at UCLA occurs, the
> hospital must notify the patient within five days and if it fails to
> do so, fines of $100 per patient per day can be imposed, up to a total
> of $250,000.
>
> Under AB 211, which deals with individual physicians and other health
> care professionals, patients can collect damages up to $1,000. And
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04