[governance] Re-introduction

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 22 06:28:05 EST 2008

Jeremy and all,

  I have a few questions regarding your organization that as an exercise
off the cuff as it were, might serve as good background and input
to the IGF restructuring so that a better and more direct serving
IGF can emerge that can than have a real impact of Internet governance.
As we have some very important decisions in the US coming up in the
new administration it seemed to me to be a good time for these sorts
of reviews with resulting questions to be brought forward so that
openness and transparency can be recognized and a good start forward
can be quickly but deliberately recognized and effected.

  I noticed at
http://www.consumersinternational.org/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=96883&int1stParentNodeID=89655&int2ndParentNodeID=96868
that there was no category for individual members.  As such, how does
consumersinternational purport to fully be able to represent consumers
or stakeholders unless they each have a voice and a vote?

  I also noticed at:
http://www.consumersinternational.org/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=96887&int1stParentNodeID=89655&int2ndParentNodeID=96868
that essentially your organization requires what amounts to Tithing.  To
my knowledge under US law this seem to be financially discriminatory as
such.  So how does your organization square that with consumer
protection advocacy?

  I also took particular notice at:
http://www.consumersinternational.org/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=96883&int1stParentNodeID=89655&int2ndParentNodeID=96868
Given the nature of you membership, if one actually calls it that,
categories, that some categories of  "Organization members", however
that translates into consumers or stakeholders advocacy, that several
types of memberships do not have a vote at all.  How can those
organization than be actually represented in terms of consumer
protection?

  I also took particular note of your organizations domain name
configuration:
http://member.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnslite.php?r=homepage&domain=consumersinternational.org
and
http://private.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=consumersinternational.org&token=1140487061c0016606a0758720779019
This does not boad well for advocacy of consumer protection...
Would you be so kind as to direct Afilias whom seems to be handeling
your DNS to get this cleaned up as soon as possible?  It just looks
really bad, sorry to say...

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> I have become quiet on this list lately until today, so I thought it
> was time for a brief re-introduction.
>
> My quietness was because where I obtained employment would determine
> how closely I could continue to be involved in the IGF.  Well, as
> you'll have guessed from one of my last messages, that turned out to
> be Consumers International - which fits in very well with my continued
> involvement. :-)
>
> So you'll be able to find me at the Consumers International event
> during Friday lunchtime, as well as on the panels of the IGC seminar
> on the Role and Mandate of the IGF on Saturday morning, and the OECD
> seminar on Digital Content Strategies and Policies on Friday
> afternoon, and doing a poster presentation at GigaNet.
>
> Also the Internet Governance Project has just kindly distributed a
> paper of mine called "Appraising the Success of the IGF" which you can
> find at http://www.internetgovernance.org/pdf/MalcolmIGFReview.pdf.
> Comments are welcome as always (but flames to me, not the IGP).
>
> --
> JEREMY MALCOLM
> Project Coordinator
> CONSUMERS INTERNATIONAL-KL OFFICE
> for Asia Pacific and the Middle East
>
> Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
> campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
> 115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
> movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
> information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04